Monday, December 7, 2009

Some Rambling Thoughts...

...Remodeling Made Easy (win the lotto and hire someone!)

In my experience, with any remodeling job the final results depend on at least these five factors:

1) Experience in all aspects of home construction
2) Good quality tools and the skills needed to use them
3) Patience to avoid cutting corners or rushing through a job
4) Ability to be a very good problem solver
5) Planning on the hidden unexpected snags that always pop up

How many times have you seen a weekend warrior remodel that shows the typical story of great intentions, ambition and even good skills in some areas? The owner may be proud of his work, but you still know it was the owner who did it. Normally the most evident things are the ones that count, like poor drywall finishing, trim work, tile setting and doors that don't open or close correctly.

I think the best way to look at any remodeling project is to think of that room as a can of worms you're going to open with the first thing you tear out!

A few of the things that you should, shall we say, "expect" are:

1) Water damage
2) Rot
3) Rodents
4) Problems with wiring/plumbing
5) Getting the new stuff into the room (!)

As a teenager and friend and I went to the Home Base store (remember those?) and purchased a very nice shower stall to replace one that was a bit aged at his grandmother's house. We tore out the old one just to find out that the new shower stall wouldn't even fit down the hallway let alone through the bathroom door. Oooops!

Just recently after tearing out a shower/tub I spotted a 220v wire with a nice big hole burned into it from a nail that was too long and placed just right! Or would that be just wrong?!

The list of hair raising or downright puzzling problems one can come across is truly endless. It does however keep things entertaining though, and at times you've just gotta have a good laugh at what just popped up or at yourself for that matter.

A few good ones I've heard on the job:

"Hey, it looked great at the store!"

"I cut it straight but the board was crooked."

"Has anyone seen my tape measure?" (asked just after filling the cells in a block wall with cement)

Worker- "It is what it is."
Boss- "Then tear it out and make a better is."

While framing... Boss says, "Put the headers at 80" (rough opening height for doorways is 82", all doorways had to be raised)

Remodeling and building can be very demanding and frustrating, yet is one of the most rewarding things I can think of. But the best part is the totally unexpected moments when something takes a turn to the way funny stuff. Granted, it's almost always at somebody's expense, so when it's your turn don't forget to laugh at yourself. Heck, I was on a job site once where they kept a scorecard for "unintended ladder dives" on a wall!

There are those times when I am doing trim work and all the cuts turn out perfect for some reason (nobody is perfect, but we can have good days) and someone will say, "You made that look so easy!" Well, people all have different skills. Don't ask me to type, make fudge or do anything related to fashion, for instance. Btw, Stacy (my wonderful wife) wants me to add singing to the list of things I should not do. :)

People to me are fascinating. All the different lifestyles, viewpoints, opinions and expectations that people have are limitless. Every time I go to a new potential customer's home I truly have no idea what to expect. That said, most (but not all) expect a very high level of perfection with a very low level of time and money invested. Can you see the problem with that when you read it? I love doing all that perfect work, where you can look all you want and never find a flaw, but remember, I have bills to pay just like everyone else does and cannot spend a pile of time on something without being appropriately compensated for it. Plus, it makes Stacy grumpy, LOL. Now, I can and will do work of the quality level you're after and expect, but I have to charge a reasonable rate for my services.

If you come up with something where I feel I cannot meet your expectations, I will let you know. For instance, I refer a lot of the tile setting work to a good friend of mine, James Loveless who owns Smart Floors in Phelan. He has been doing it for 30+ years and is truly a master in his art.

I know this post sort of goes all over the place, but I think it lets the reader know a little more about how I feel, think and view the work I love and the people I work for and with.

~SJN

No comments:

Post a Comment